I was watching an NBA game on TV the other night, when a flash of insanity (or genius) hit me. And it’s not even a full moon.
I wondered if NBA basketball players would play for the Philippines, would they take on a more local-sounding name?
Back in my childhood days, during Toyota vs. Crispa rivalry, and during Robert Jaworski’s heyday, an American import played for Toyota. His name was Andrew Fields. However we joked around that his adopted Filipino (Tagalized) name was Andres Bukid. As you know, San Andres Bukid is a district in Manila.
So here’s my list of Filipinized names of current NBA players:
1. Tiagong Tigas – James Harden (Houston Rockets)
2. Juaning Pader – John Wall (Washington Wizards)
3. Dong Tampisaw – Dwayne Wade (Chicago Bulls)
4. Esteban Sabaw – Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
5. Gurang Kaladkarin – Goran Dragic (Miami Heat)
6. Atincupung, Ging-ging – Antetokounmpo, Giannis (Milwaukee Bucks)
7. Kebong Pag-ibig – Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers)
8. Jimeno Mayordomo – Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls)
9. Damong Luntian – Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors)
10. Tonying Pumarada – Tony Parker (San Antonio Spurs)
11. Kembot Lumakad – Kemba Walker (Charlotte Hornets)
12. Dekdek Bulaklak – Derrick Rose (NY Knicks)
13. Tiagong Biyak – Tiago Splitter (Atlanta Hawks)
14. Rodeng Bakla – Rudy Gay (Sacramento Kings)
15. Pablong Saksak – Paul Pierce (LA CLippers)
Can you think of anybody else? I like to hear from you.
(*photo from the web)